This endowed professorship was created in memory of Dr. A. B. Cox (1884-1967),
a noted researcher and educator at the University of Texas. In his nearly
forty years of service as an elder of the University Avenue Church of Christ
and as a vigorous supporter of the Bible Chair Program and the Campus Ministry,
Dr. Cox provided leadership for broadening the ministry of the Bible Chair
to include training for ministers and missionaries.
Pat E. Harrell Chair
Dr. Pat Harrell (1930-1978) was Director of the Bible Chair at the
University of Texas from 1971 until his death. His vision led to the expansion
of that program and laid the foundation for the emergence of the Austin Graduate
School of Theology.
Billy Gunn Hocott Chair
The Hocott professorship was established as a memorial to Billy Gunn
Hocott (1916-1979) to honor her years of support of the School. A graduate
of the University of Texas, Mrs. Hocott was widely known for her willing
and generous support of many church works, particularly what is now Austin
Graduate School of Theology and international missions.
Claude R. Hocott Teaching Fund
The Claude R. Hocott Teaching Fund was established in memory of Dr.
Hocott in honor of his many years of loyal service and support to the Austin
Graduate School of Theology. The Hocott family and friends established the
fund to support teaching of the Bible. Dr. Hocott, who served as Chancellor,
and his wife, Judy, have been generous friends of the School.
Harrison A. Mathews Chair
The Mathews Chair was established in 1988 as a memorial to Harrison
A. Mathews (1917-1963), who served as minister of the University Avenue Church
of Christ from 1956 until his death in 1963. He saw the challenge of the
church’s ministry of higher education and encouraged the development
of a strong academic program in Christian studies for students in the Austin
James Lee Weber Endowment Fund
This endowment, supporting the office of the President and other administrative
activities, was established in 1999 in memory of Jim Weber, who died in 1993.
Jim was a spokesman and leader of the Advisory and Development Board for more than 10 years and an active participant
in many School activities. He was also a respected member of the legal community
and the Texas Christian Lawyers Association.
Jack C. and Ruth Wright Chair
The Wright Chair was established in 1991 to honor Jack and Ruth Wright
for their immeasurable service to Austin Graduate School of Theology. The
Wrights have been generous financial supporters for many years and have served
on the Administrative and Development Board since 1979. After his retirement
from industry in 1985, Mr. Wright contributed full-time service to the School
first as Vice President and then, since 1997, as Vice Chancellor.
[ BACK TO TOP ]